Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pistachio Cake. Yee haw. It's good.

Yesterday I got home from work. Felt sorry for myself for approximately 30 minutes. Drove to pick up Elli at a friends. Then went to Safeway to pick up ingredients to make this.

Pistachio Cake


Because come on. When one is feeling sorry for oneself there is nothing better than a sweet treat to snap you out of your funk. You could buy a pint of Haagen Daaz and eat the whole thing. Or polish off a bag of gummy bears or Peanut M&Ms. Or, you could bake yourself a fabulous cake that makes the whole house smell divine and you can enjoy it for days - -  after dinner, as an afternoon snack with coffee for breakfast. Oh, how I love cake.


And this cake was highly recommended by Ree and Jenna (Pioneer Woman and Eat. Love. Run Baker/Blogger) so I knew it would be FAB-U-LOUS.

And guess what?  It is. It tastes like pistachio and chocolate. Duh. And it's not too sweet. Me likey.

I have some left if you want to stop by. We didn't eat the whole thing last night. Although it was tempting. See? Here's a piece with your name on it. I should warn you though. There aren't any cushions on the couch at the moment. It's a long, boring, bad fabric that pilled like a cheap sweater - but wasn't cheap kind of story. Good thing we own a furniture/upholstery store.

But don't worry, we have other furniture. It just looks a little odd in here with a half naked couch.


Want the recipe?  Here it is straight from The Pioneer Woman. Click here. Or read on my cake loving friend.

Pistachio Cake (from Ree Drummond)

1 box White Cake Mix
1 package (4 Ounce) Pistachio Instant Pudding Mix
½ cup Orange Juice
½ cup Water
½ cup Vegetable Oil
4 whole Eggs
¾ cup Chocolate Syrup (such As Hershey's)

1. Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour bundt pan.
2. Mix all ingredients, but chocolate syrup, and beat for two minutes on medium-high. Pour 3/4 of the batter into the bundt pan.
3. Add chocolate syrup to the remaining batter and mix well. Pour chocolate batter on top of the pistachio batter.
4. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350º (My cake was done in 45 minutes.)

The chocolate in Ree's cake looks more chocolatey and moister than mine. I must have used more pistachio batter than she did. Still tastes good.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dan! I promise I'll eat fresh fruits and veggies, too. I was exaggerating just a tad about eating the whole cake. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who's Dan? That looks like Blog Spam.....his links don't work.

    Anyhoo - I like any recipe that starts with a cake in a box - woo hoo! I'm making it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, pistachio and chocolate, yummy. It looks so pretty too with that double layer of flavor. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-3.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!

~Kris