Monday, March 7, 2011

Blondies

What do you do after a job interview? I bake these.

Blondies with chocolate chips, toasted coconut and nuts
I had an interview in San Francisco last week. It went ok. Definitely could have gone better. No fault of mine. Just not a perfect fit experience-wise. That happens. But I was still kind of bummed.

A few things crossed my mind as I was pulling away. The first was shopping. The second was eating (it was lunch time). And then I thought of shopping again. One of my favorite stores in San Francisco is Isda & Co. and it wasn't far from where I was. The Ferry Building with the Blue Bottle Coffee store was also close by. But shopping isn't what an unemployed person should be doing. So I went home before I did something I would regret. 

I made myself a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich and looked up recipes on Smitten Kitchen to find something to bake. I always love her stuff.

The Blondies recipe was just what I was looking for because it is flexible. And flexible (or adaptable) is the name of the game around here.

These bars are moist, slightly gooey, with a crisp top. I asked Don what he thought and he asked me to please stop making them that he's trying to lose weight and he can't stop eating them. Ooops.




Blondies
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

8 T. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla bean paste (or vanilla)
Pinch of salt
1 c. flour
Mix in 1/2 - 1 cup of chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit.

I mixed in:
1/2 c. coconut toasted
1/4 c. chocolate chips
1/4 c. chopped nuts toasted (macadamia and almond)

1. Butter an 8 x 8 pan. Preheat oven to 350ยบ
2. Mix melted butter with the brown sugars. Beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla.
3. Add salt. Stir in flour. Mix in your additions.
4. Pour in to prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until set in the middle. Less is more. Cool completely before cutting.
5. You can easily double this recipe.
6. Store in an airtight container for three days. (That's how long ours lasted.)


What's next? Homemade goldfish crackers. Yup. Ya gotta love Deb from Smitten Kitchen. Oh, and some new cheap wines. happy dance, happy dance....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!

~Kris