Friday, February 4, 2011

Homemade salsa in 5 minutes

This is true. You can have homemade, restaurant-style salsa in five minutes.

 

You do need one very important piece of equipment though. And that is a food processor. I think it will work in a blender. But you might have to mix it up in batches and it will probably get messy. So if you don't have a food processor come over to my house and I'll mix it up for you. And please don't attempt to use a mini processor. You need the big daddy for this. (Don't have one? Don't be sad. Read on anyway!!)

I wish I was one of those super bloggers that give away cool stuff. 'Cuz everyone needs a food processor and a Kitchen Aid. But I'm not. Not yet anyway.  I do have a whole storage unit full of garage tools including a SNOW SHOVEL you can have. Why, oh why, I moved a snow shovel to San Francisco is beyond me. Plus it's bent. The whole corner is crumpled. sigh........

Let's get back to salsa. I know a bunch of you are buried in snow (which made me think of the shovel) and are itching to get out of the house. So throw on your boots, grab a rope, tie it to your kid's sled and drag it to the store to get the ingredients for this. Then slide it back home and in five minutes you'll have salsa. Oh. Don't forget the chips.

The recipe comes from the Pioneer Woman. I guess it's kind of Pioneer Woman week here at the blog. First the pistachio cake, then last night salsa and chicken and vegetable enchiladas.

Now, I do have to confess, I ran into a bit of a problem at Safeway. They were out of Cilantro. And my lazy butt didn't want to go to another store. So I bought this.


Don't do that. Get your lazy butt to the store. Just like I eventually did for the second time. Plus I forgot the chips. Ay yay yay.


Fresh cilantro. You need a lot of it. The stuff in the tube is just wrong for this.

Now here's what you need to do. Make the salsa today. You can have it with your Friday night margarita and chips. Then let it sit in the fridge until Sunday when you watch the Super Bowl game. It tastes better on day two. I know that for a fact. And this will taste A-mazing with Houston's spin dip and enchiladas.

I don't know about you, but my favorite part of any Super Bowl party is the snacks. I can thank my mom for that. She's the queen of snacks. Oh, and of course hanging with friends. And the cocktails. And the commercials. I am aware that I have not mentioned the game yet. Unless my team is in it - - well, what's the point?



Restaurant Style Salsa (adapted from The Pioneer Woman)

1 can (28oz) whole tomatoes with juice
2 cans (10oz) Rotel tomatoes (or the store brand of diced tomatoes and green chiles)
1/4 of an onion chopped (approximately 1/4 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 whole jalapeno, quartered, seeds removed, sliced thin.
1/4 t. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/4 - 1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. Southwest seasoning
1/2 cup fresh cilantro (large stems removed)
juice from 1/2 a lime

1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa consistency you like. 10 to 15 pulses. Test seasonings and adjust accordingly.
2. Store in a Tupperware container.

Yield: 4 cups of salsa
Prep time: 5 minutes

PARTY SPREAD

Here's what you can serve with your fabulous salsa. Make everything ahead so you can have fun too.
1) chicken enchiladas
2) guacamole and chips (make it yourself. Or buy the ready-made stuff)
3) mexican rice
4) roasted tomatillo dressing
5) cheese quesadilla's (flour tortillas and a mix of cheeses)
5) fresh veggies (healthy, crunchy stuff)
6) Margaritas (make a big pitcher and serve it on the rocks)
7) Beer

ENJOY!!!

Oh, we're available to attend a party. 'Cuz we still don't have any cushions on the couch.


Wah wah. We'll bring salsa!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!

~Kris